Monday, August 17, 2009

"The Wanderer Above a Sea of Fog"

In Class Questions:
-Why paint the backside of a man instead of showing his face?
-Is he alone?
-Is he on a mission?
-Why on a foggy day and not a sunny day?
-Why does the picture have an ominous feel to it?
-Is the picture foreshadowing the man's destiny?

Response to the Question:
My journey this semester is going to be a rough one. I know where I want to go, but before I can get there, I have to deal with my classes with homework, volunteering, sports and college applications to juggle. My goal is in site, but I've got to work hard to get there just as this man in the painting must work to reach his final destination.
In order for me to reach this goal without completely losing myself in the process, I have things that keep me going like my family, friends and youth group. In the picture, the man is holding a walking stick or cane. This can be interpreted as his item that comforts him. Maybe it reminds him of a fond memory that keeps him going.
The painter painted the backside of the man so that the onlooker could relate to the picture him or herself. For the man to be alone may mean it must be a personal journey. Maybe it is a search for his place in the world.
The ominous feel to the picture, represented by the mists or fog, may foreshadow the trials and tribulations that are to come in the man's journey while he does his best to accomplish his goal. Through these trials and tribulations, he can see out who he is as a person and see what he is made of. It seems like the man is accomplishing his goals one step at a time. Although one may seem to have a goal set for him or herself, there are still unaccounted obstacles that may hinder him from accomplishing his goal, but from the man's stance he looks as if he has prepared himself for both the triumphs and disappointments.


No comments:

Post a Comment