Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January: All I Have is Christ

So, I kind of want to start this "Song of the Month" type thing, where every month, I post one song that has been either weighing heavy on my heart, stuck in my head or for whatever reason. Along with the "Song of the Month," I'll include an update of where I've been or whatnot :)

As seen by the title of this blog, the song that I chose for this month is: "All I Have is Christ" by Sovereign Grace Music. (Can be hear by clicking here) The lyrics are as follows: 

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still


But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross
And I beheld God’s love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You

© 2008 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI), by Jordan Kauflin

The first time I heard this song was at this conference, Resolved. I was reduced to tears. It was a clear depiction of my moralistic life and how gracious God was to me. Christ coming down to die for an undeserving race. Having the righteous, just and holy wrath of God, the father, being poured out on the Son. Before coming to realize what this truly meant, it was all head-knowledge to me. I knew all the answers, but it never occurred to me how significant and crucial Christ's death was. Well, yeah I knew it was important for man kind going to heaven and whatever else, but the reason WHY we go to heaven is so that we can HAVE Christ. My brother described it as being a former pharisee and thus being delivered, saved from our hypocritical ways. My mom has finished her race. She is in heaven where she is with Jesus and He is everything. She has Him as her own and I have peace with this because I know that there is no other place that I rather have her be. To keep her here on earth would be selfish. She's in the loving and caring arms of her Savior. Who can care better for her than Christ?
As my pastor says, "Christ is everything or He is nothing." The last verse is what always plays over and over and over again in my head. I want the remaining days of my life to look like that. I want my only boast to be Christ and how it is only by His grace that I have come to know what I know. Every time we sing this song in church, I always feel like I've run into a brick wall or more like the other way around. This really does portray the life of man before and after Christ. Verse one: the depravity of man. Because of our pride, we reject Christ. Verse two: What Christ has done for us, despite how undeserving. Verse three: Our response in what Christ did on the cross. To bring Him all the glory of which He is all-deserving.

Hallelujah, All I have is Christ. Hallelujah, Jesus is my life. Amen.

2 comments: