Saturday, October 24, 2009

Words of Wisdom: Words to Live By

If anything, I think this song called "Everyone's Free (To Wear Sunscreen), is completely relevant to what we did this week in class, regarding the letters from friends/family.
"Everyone's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)" can be heard by clicking HERE

At the beginning of this week, we were assigned to ask 2 (or more) people for their words of wisdom. I know for a fact that I would look at these letters when I feel discouraged, which were probably the real reason as to why we did these, so thank you Mr. Burke. The first letter that I've received was from my dear friend, Kimberlee. She talked about how the world is going to lie to me and tell me how my purpose in life is to be successful. In this hectic world, it's always so easy to forget my purpose in life and lose track of who I am. As I mentioned in my journal, I know that living in the world and living of the world are two different things. I can't live my life for men and live my life for Christ. Scripture to back this statement up comes from Revelation 3:16 : "So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth." Living in the world and living of the world is like water and oil. You can't mix the two together no matter how much you stir. I'm going to be completely honest, sometimes I find myself living for the world instead of living for Christ as of recent because of school applications, grades, and whatnot. I end up losing myself in all the madness and sometimes struggle to swim back up to the surface wondering if I would ever make it back to the surface in time. My friend's letter has encouraged me tremendously. I know for sure that this letter will be a "shoebox" letter, meaning I'm going to keep it, treasure it and look at it as a source of encouragement. She recognizes the fact that these ties are going to be harder before they become easier - and that's so true! but at the rat that our world is changing/progressing, it's about to become a whole lot harder and easier won't be found as quickly as i would like it to be.
Over these past few years, my friends have had a tremendous impact on my life, mostly spiritually. They have set an example for me to live by - living out the gospel of Christ. each of these people that I've asked to write me these letters are people that I trust my life with. They are all responsible for shaping and molding me into the person who I am today. Without their guidance, I would be living a completely different life style- who knows where I'd be? I look forward to pulling these letters from a shoebox, possibly 20 years from now. It would remind me of how much they've invested, influenced and loved me.

Here, I guess I'll leave a message for my future self:
For when I encounter hardships, trials and tribulations:
+Romans 8:31-39 -"God's Everlasting Love"
"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

+James 1:2-4 - "Testing of Your Faith"
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

+Romans 5:20-21 - "Peace with God Through Faith"
"Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."



No comments:

Post a Comment