Saturday, October 3, 2009

"It's not the circumstances that determine who you're going to be, but how you deal with these problems and pains that come your way..." - Mat Kearney [<--This is a link!]

This quote comes from a song by one of my favorite artists, Mat Kearney. What makes him different from other artists is that he has a different way of approaching issues (issues that matter) of todays world. For example, in the song Girl America, Kearney addresses a girl's everyday issue and how instead of taking initiative on her own life and leading her life the way she would like it to be, she allows outside influences govern her decisions that she makes.
I think that this song, more directly the quote, is relevant to our class discussions on leaders and laws/morals. How? Well, the beginning starts out as how she allows worldly influences mold her to how she's going to live out her life, thus making her a follower of the leader, represented by the media, drugs, boys, etc.
I wouldn't say that leaders are confinded to the definition of one that leads others, but also she can govern herself; taking her reigns into her own hands and to the best of her ability, control what she can instead of allowing everything around her to manipulate the way she acts or reacts.
There are two different kinds of people in the world: ones that initiate and ones that react, however these reactions may be passive or active.
The ones that initaite usually feel as if something were wrong or feel that they are being threatened by something, thus the initiation for change.
The ones that react are considered as followers or ones that could care less. Followers are followers because they feel that they would not have enough leway to pursuade others to follow them in their opinion of matters, but if they find someone else who has more pursation on the public, the leaders, they then support these leaders in their decision and action for change. The others are passive. They are passive because it is possible that they could care less about what's going to happen, maybe because they don't feel like the decision has any relation to them or won't affect them in any shape, way or manner.

This upcoming months is going to be one of the most stressful months im ever going to encounter (aside from finals and AP testing). Why is this? Well as if I didn't have enough already, I now have the pleasure of filling out those wonderful application forms which will probably shape my life in terms of what exactly in my degree I'm specifically aiming at. It is up to me whether I want to let the school take me where it wants to take me or if I want to take it where I want it to take me. Will I govern my life to the best of my ability or will I let the influence on others guide my decisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment