Sunday, September 27, 2009

Law

What is law?
Law is a system of rules a society sets to maintain order and protect harm to persons and property.

I usually have my notebook with me to help me pinpoint the important points so that I could incorporate them into my blog, but since I don't have it, I'm going to do my best to recall what we've talked about and what I've thought about the discussions.

We've discussed in class how whether one believes it or not, he or she has broken the law, if it may be through downloading music illegally, over-speeding in a car, cutting class, or even something as simple as jaywalking. As a civilian, it is our duty to obey the law. What causes us to break laws is that the benefit of the action oversees the consequence or maybe because we believe that it infringes on our rights. Sometimes we break the law because we may believe that the consequences are miniscule compared to the long run.

For example, man's law v. the gods' law. Would one choose to follow man's law because it results in death? Or would one choose to follow the gods' because gods' consequences are bigger than man's law?
I feel that what made Antigone defy man's law is because of this reason: the gods' law is an eternal law, and because it is an eternal law, the consequences would be an eternal consequence. Also, does man's law not come from the gods' laws?

Another example was in class in a discussion about law in regards to Martin Luther King Jr.
Everyone has a definition of right and everyone has a definition of wrong. Although two ideas may be similar, there is still room for disagreements. We have our own morals, which are learned through trial and errors. The choice that leads to civil disobedience is initiated by the cause and effect being bigger than the consequence.

I, myself, could see myself breaking the law if it is something I am passionate about, for example my faith. If the government were to keep me from practicing and growing in my faith, I would defy the law because I feel that my faith stands for something greater and cannot be defined by rules and regulations. The earth is temporary where as my God is eternal.
Isaiah 40:8 "
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment