Saturday, December 5, 2009

Who Defines Us?

"Then How Shall We Live?"

"There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul

I can say "It is well"

"What I'm Listening to: The Wonder of the Cross" (Link)

I can't even express how much I've treasured my time with my family. Yes, they're always here with me, but being allowed to grow with them and spend time with them is truly a moment I won't pass up. I thank God for placing these wonderful people whom I can come to with "issues" and just receive not judgment, but love, compassion and truth. They tell it to me straight forward. Although it sometimes isn't what I want to hear, but it's what I need to hear. No beating around the bushes and for this, I am grateful. God has placed such amazing God-fearing people in my life! (I can't get over this!) And for this I praise him.

It was so easy growing closer to God in an environment where everyone shares your beliefs, where no one judges you for what you believe in. While I was at a winter retreat, I really enjoyed waking up to morning devotions, breakfast, going into worship and bible study, experiencing God's majesty first hand in nature, dinner and then back into worship and bible study. It just allowed me to step away from my worldly routine and just focus on God (which I really needed). Life's an uphill struggle, but because of God's everlasting joy, I can find refuge in Him. I grew closer to people whom I honestly thought I never would a few years back.

So often we become caught up in the world. I find myself trying to push myself to meet the expectations of colleges, parents, teachers... really the list goes on and on. I have to meet these expectations because it's how our world's run. Progress never sleeps, so why should we, right?
Who defines us? Is it our work, our cars, our houses, our insurance policy? Naturally in the high school environment, our education defines us along with our friendships, relationships, grades, merits, how we dress, how we speak, what music we listen to. Personally, I don't to be defined by my merits or success. I want Christ to define me.

The following passage is one of many of how God is defined.
Romans 1:19-20
For what can be known about God is plain the them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, having been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world. In the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

When coming back from a retreat, it's usually really depressing. I never felt so "out there" in my life. I couldn't talk to friends at school about what had occurred at the retreat in the spiritual aspect without them being absolutely confused or think I'm completely insane. My morning devotions were limited to a mere 30 minutes, when at the retreat they were basically the whole day! Stepping back into the world's routine, I was robbed! But thanks to God's irresistible grace, I can find my strength and refuge in Him, every second and every breath!

My goal that I'm still trying to have put together is to have GOD define me. I don't want my works, my education, profession, physical attributes, place in society etc. to define me. Why? I know that this life is futile when living for myself. If this is how I wish to be defined, then how should I live?

How then shall we live?
The Bible gives us a lot of evidence of how we should:

Romans 12: 1-2
Therefore brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual act of worship. Do not be conformed to the patter of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

1 John 1:15-2:1-17 (I can't type the whole thing out here, but in a nutshell:"Living apart from the world's standards and living according to God's standards.")

Basically, my life here on earth is not to be lived for my own selfish desires or by the expectations of society, but for God's glory.
This is how we shall live.

No comments:

Post a Comment