Sunday, January 24, 2010

A World Without Sound


Currently Listening to: "Gravity" by Sara Bareillis

A World Without Sound.
Sounds horrible, coming from someone who has her world go round with a significant amount of music everyday and every moment she c
an spare.
Sight. Hearing. Taste. Smell. Touch.
The five senses that we take for granted because of their frequent use everyday. We've become so casual with it that we've forgotten the essence of it all. What if we were to lose one
sense and live without it for the rest of our lives? How would we react or adjust?
If we had to lose one of these five senses and live the remainder of our life without it, which would we choose?

Hearing.
I can't say I would know where I would be without it. Music is an important part of my life, my escape. If I were to lose my hearing, I wouldn't be able to hear laughter, the voice of children, the sound of my piano or guitar. I'm at a loss for words when it comes to not being able to hear. The void that I would feel is indescribable. I'm sure that even if I were to be deaf for the rest of my life, starting tonight, I would even miss the sound of bickering.

Starting tomorrow, I'm starting classes in American Sign Language (ASL). Although it is a bonus factor to my desired profession, I'm allowed the opportunity to see the world from a different perspective: a world without sound. ASL is more than just signing signs with one's hands. It requires so much more: seemingly ridiculous facial expressions, over-exaggerated gestures, and understanding. I feel that sometimes ASL has a better way for expressing oneself in which words can not describe, thus shown through motions or gestures. Not even lyrics from artists can capture real emotion. Yes, the listen can be moved, but if ASL were added to the song, a visual, how much more meaning would be added?
Dance is very much like this. A visual that adds more to the meaning of things: different interpretations.

"Gravity" by Sara Bareilles: (links below)
Dance vs Sign Language

I know that what I've said can't possibly do any justice, but I'm willing to learn and experience it all.
It's a new year, might as well start with a new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment