Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Beaten Path

So I went on a hike today in Half Moon Bay and I can only recommend that you hike in Half Moon Bay also. It was beautiful and the weather was perfect for hiking. It was surreal. I couldn't help, but think how life is often like a hike up a really big hill.

Being the English student that I am, I began to think about how life in gereal was a lot like a hike on the beaten path (Analogies! Always thinking of new analogies!). Life was notjust confined only to the beaten path, but also all the redwood trees, poison oak, ferns, rock formations and more. This was a representation of the beauty of life. The beaten path represented my path to my goal and I would accomplish this goal whenever I had reached the top of the hill. Obviously  reaching a long term goal isn't very easy. I couldn't exactly see everything that's around me because I was too busy focusing on the beaten path making sure there isn't anything in my way that would hurt or or harm me. When I did try to focus on my surroundings, I found myself worrying about my safety and returned my eyes to the fallen path. My absorption on the path represented all the obstacles that life throws at me, whether it would be the norms of society, the expectations of others, what I expect from myself. I got to the point where I stopped to take a breather and that was when I could look around and just enjoy God's creation. We all need much needed breaks from the world. We just need to stop what we're doing and just enjoy life and remember what it's all about.

There were times on the hike when I just wanted to stop and go back due to the aches and pains of my body. Old injuries were coming up and were irritated by the terrain. This represented the times where I'd run into familiar situations that I didn't want to deal with, but i had to if I wanted to obtain my goal.

Almost getting up to the top, I was reminded that I had to go back down all the way back down the way I came. I didn't want to do that. I just wanted to get to the top and stay there and somehow teleport myself back to where the cars were. So I gave it some though about stopping where I was and return back, but then I would miss the gratification in saying that I complete the hike. I finally made it to the top and what a breath taking view it was. It was worth it. I reached my goal.

Now the walk back down wasn't bad at all, although I must say I missed the uphill walks. However, it reminded me of all the things that I went through in order to obtain my goal. I looked back and said, "Hey, I made it through that? That wasn't that bad. I could do that all over again, but the next time with ease because I know how to deal with it." I could use my experiences to encourage others in perservering to obtain their goal because it's worth it.

It's not worth giving up if you're going to regret not doing it for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment