Saturday, March 27, 2010

Deception

Why is it when we hear something we don't like, we pretend to not hear it or respond to it?

Take this for example, call me a bad daughter, but there are times where I'm asleep and I can hear my mom calling me from the next room. I'm half-asleep, but I'm also half-awake. Naturally my mind says, "Hello, wake up your mom needs you." My body responds, "I don't know what you're talking about."

I can't express to anyone how much I hate it when I hear shallow perceptions of the Gospel. It's like my stomach gets tied into a knot and someone is constantly punching me in the gut. I can't sit still and I get so angry and frustrated.

There will be times where pastors may preach that because God loves us, we should accept him into our hearts and he'll make everything better. Nothing frustrates me more than this.

1. Who are WE as humans to have the right to decide if God intervenes in our life or not. God intervenes whether we like it or not. Anything and everything that happens in our life is meant to glorify Him. 
Colossians 1:16-17
For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities -- all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

2. Really? God would give us anything our little hearts desire? Is that really why we "accept" him? Oh, okay, it's not like he saved a fallen race from God's holy and righteous wrath, and because he saved us, we get to have Jesus and spend an eternity with him. As for anything we want? Jesus should be sufficient for all our needs.
Colossians 1:13-14
He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Just the other day, my mom likes to watch this "Christian" channel and it KILLS me what is shown on the television. The segment that made me cringe is when the spokesperson was talking about the end times and my response was, "Oh boy... This should be interesting." I proceeded to watch their discussions about how Jesus was soon to return and how we should be prepared for his arrival when he does come back (along side with a few horrible analogies and parallels). Then start showing clips from movies of end times or natural disasters. REALLY? So I guess we're either going to persuade people to think that Jesus would give us what we want or we can just scare them into the faith right? Just when you think the program couldn't get any worse, the man whips out a water filtration system and says, "You never know when Jesus'll come back, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. You can purchase this water filtration product at...' Woooooow... this was a joke....
Among other things that frustrate me, shallow worship songs.
There are those songs that are repetative saying, "Take - take - take it all!" for literally 10 minutes... Has our worship through music really like this? Should our words be shallow in giving thanks the the Almight God? Of course not! Yes, we know that we need Jesus, but what about all he's done and why we need him? This is just frustrating...


No comments:

Post a Comment